Sunday, January 31, 2010

January Results

Profit: +$3262
Rakeback: +418
Games: 1204
Hours: 106

Hourly: 34.72 / hr
Per Game: 3.06 / game

Including the results of propbets, I broke 4K this month. Had no real expectations this month, since a lot of it would be learning / adjusting to a new game. The first half of this month, I spent as much time studying / reviewing as I did playing. The second half was just trying to get as many focused games in as possible.

I feel fairly comfortable with the 180 format now, and with the resulting swings in $12 / 180s. +$1500 or -$500 are possible in any given session. For a while there, I thought I could pull off a 6K+ month, but the poker gods had other ideas. The past week has been slightly losing to breakeven. Not fun, but inevitable. Perhaps I've gotten too cocky, gotten too scared, gotten too unfocused, regs are adjusting, or just natural variance. The only solution is to act on these things in my control. Nose to the grindstone, ride out the storm.

One last life leak that I gotta correct in my development is my stubbornness, and ego. So hard to change or let go of ways that have had some level of success. Reminded me of this zen story:

A Cup of Tea

Nan-in, a Japanese master during the Meiji era (1868-1912), received a university professor who came to inquire about Zen.

Nan-in served tea. He poured his visitor's cup full, and then kept on pouring.

The professor watched the overflow until he no longer could restrain himself. "It is overfull. No more will go in!"

"Like this cup," Nan-in said, "you are full of your own opinions and speculations. How can I show you Zen unless you first empty your cup?"

No comments:

Post a Comment